Monday, June 9, 2014

TEXTILES FROM AROUND THE WORLD AT HOME IN CHARLESTON

1harper
If you follow Harper Poe’s Instagram feed, you’ll know that she’s always off on some great, textile-filled adventure – from Guatemala to Niger to Morocco to Peru. It’s all just in a day’s work for her Charleston-based textile company Proud Mary. Harper works with local artisans in five different countries to produce her ethically sourced label that boasts baseball hats made with Guatemalan fabric, Peruvian-made Alpaca ponchos and lizard bottle openers made in West Africa. Shopping in her online boutique is like a little trip around the world. So when Harper rests her head on the (boob!) pillow in her Charleston home, she likes her furnishings to feel calm and relaxed, allowing the textiles and other souvenirs that she’s picked up on her travels around the world to shine. 
All Photography by Olivia Rae James
Image above: “I switch out the sofa textiles about every month. Because the weather has been amazing and summer is starting, I felt like the tie-dye and crochet pillows and Fulani blanket, all from Mali, would add perfect pops of color. The large print of the marsh over the sofa, by my friend Sam Kweskin, is a constant. I looooooveeee it!”
2harper
Image above: “I love the light and the wooden rafters in my bedroom. It feels cabin-like and cozy.  I keep my bed fairly simple, and with the exception of the Gravel & Gold Boob Pillows, switch out the blanket and rug periodically.”
handwritingharper


See more of Harper’s Charleston home after the jump!

3harper
Image above: “I love this little vignette in my living room. I have so many textiles, the leather butterfly chair adds some lightness and masculinity.”
4harper
Image above: “The pink chair is a hand-me-down from my Mom. I say I’m going to reupholster it every month but when I see it in photos I fall for it again…so pink it stays!”
5harper
Image above: “African textile books stacked on my coffee table with a Moroccan wedding blanket (the anti-white with sequin kind) as a rug.” 
6harper
Image above: “I love a white sofa and because I have a white cat it only makes sense.”
7harper
Image above: “Peeking through a new book about the International Folk Art Market in Santa Fe. It’s such a good inspiration and overview of global craft.”
8harper
Image above: “Dream catcher and other random collected art above my dresser.”
9harper
Image above: “A few of my favorite things including Design*Sponge At Home book, baby shoes from Senegal, bowl from Morocco, salt dish from Turkey, and a few other trinket souvenirs from friends.”
10harper
Image above: “My galley kitchen is light and bright and hardly every used. I should turn it into something. Thoughts?!”
11harper
Image above: “I do enjoy a good cup of coffee. I do a pour-over using a Hario V-60. Makes a bright cup of coffee!”
12harper
Image above: “Marsha. What a dream boat!”
13harper
Image above: “Marsha drinking out of the faucet, per usual.”
14harper
Image above: Bedroom vignette.
15harper
Image above: “Teeniest closet on the planet with a stack of 50 scarves weighing down the door.”
16harper
Image above: “Sneakers I’ve been collecting for the past 12 years. I don’t wear them very often but I’m a sucker for a pair of Nikes.”
17harper
Image above: “View into my office as I’m packing up a big shoe order.”
18harper
Image above: “My office/studio. Working from home is both amazing and very difficult. I am gone so much it makes sense for me to work at home at this point but I do hate that I can’t cut it off.”
19harper
Image above: “Random favorite things in my office.”
20harper
Image above: “A basket full of shoes from Morocco and some things I brought back from my last trip to West Africa.”
21harper
Image above: Clothing samples.
22harper
Image above: “Proud Mary sign by the awesome ladies at Stitch Design in Charleston.”
23harper
Image above: “My always-in-progress-but-still-love-it porch. The best thing about Charleston is its porches.”
24harper
Image above: “French doors leading into my kitchen with curtains from Mali that I did for Anthropologie last summer. I’m trying to get better at keeping plants alive. That little cactus was a gift from a friend after I killed my 2-foot one this winter.”
25harper
Image above: “I killed some ferns in this location so I’m trying a succulent.  They always say, “there is no way you can kill this plant.”  We’ll see how this goes. I bet I can!”

27harper28harper
Living Room:
Pillows on the sofa, Proud Mary 
Blanket on sofa picked up at a market in Bamako
Print over sofa by Sam Kweskin
Butterfly chair: Urban Outfitters
Large polka dot pillow:  Proud Mary 
Blanket/rug over butterfly chair: Proud Mary
All others are items I picked up traveling.
Bedroom:
Blanket on end of bed: Proud Mary 
Boob pillows: Gravel & Gold
Kitchen:
Dishtowels from Morocco
On Harper: Jumper from Black Crane

1 comment:

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails